Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tra Vinh in the Mekong


Tra Vinh a province direct to the South China Sea... the south of Vietnam... where no so many tourists or even local Vietnamese tourists go.

BUT I find Tra Vinh interesting, different and worth a visit. The town itself is green - lots of trees around. I can compare it to Dumaguete in the Philippines with the motorbikes and not much traffic except that there are very few foreigners there. I've met at least a Spanish exchange student in Tra Vinh University and saw one biking past the University...


There I had my Vietnamese food 101. Tung, his wife and their friends were there to introduce me to lots of things.

The first night, I had that great hot pot with Tung and family. Then I had this Banh Mi with some assorted stuff inside.



It didn't end with that, there is still this Agar Pudding. Whoah!

The next day, Pho for breakfast then another noodle dish with something that taste and looks like skinless longganisa.

It is more of a food trip than anything else. Tung managed to organize a little trip to Cua Ke, to the west of Tra Vinh. It was almost an hour of motorcycle ride and then we took a boat similar to the RORO (roll on, roll off) to an island where fruits grow.

We went to a chom-chom (rambutan) farm and gathered the fruits ourselves. The fun is that you can eat all you can and you just pay the rest of what you have harvested to take home. Cool, eh! Reminds me of Coujangco's durian plantation in La Carlota or the Lanzones Festival in Concepcion, Talisay.

No comments:

Post a Comment